Child and Family Welfare Services Program
Working to Serve “Nanu Arrara Karu Axxichas” Our Family/People and Children
The Mission of the Karuk Tribe's Child and Family Welfare Services Program () is to preserve, protect and strengthen the children and families of the Karuk Tribe through an efficient and effective service system that empowers individuals, families and communities.
The Child Welfare Services Program staff work to protect the bond between the Karuk Tribe and its children and culture thereby promoting the security and stability of the Tribe and Karuk families. We work with other departments within the tribe, other tribes, other local helping agencies, and promote and advocate for our children in state and county courts.
The Program is focused on maintaining the connection of the child to the tribal culture and community.
The Program provides services such as:
1. Voluntary Cases: A Parent or Family member may seek aid/services from our program to prevent future interventions by county or state agencies, to seek referrals to help with personal or family wellbeing such as to counseling, for school aid, parenting or cultural classes, and at any time for advice or help with family safety and parenting help.
2. Adoption, Promotion and Support Services
3. Recruitment, Training and Certification for Native American Foster Parents/Relative Caretakers
4. Intervention and Referral Services/access to services such as, medical, dental, mental health, domestic violence related services, drug and alcohol counseling services, anger management and parenting classes, youth counseling and cultural enrichment programs
5. Family Preservation
6. Time Limited Family Reunification
7. Maintaining a working relationship with the Karuk Tribal Court
8. Limited ICWA Advocacy in State Court for eligible ICWA cases
As listed in the Federal Register all ICWA notices for the Karuk Tribe are to be routed to April Attebury, Administrator, CWSP/ICWA Unit. The correct mailing address is 1519 South Oregon Street, Yreka, CA 96097.
NOTICE: If you are on this webpage to contact a social worker about a child in IMMEDIATE Danger contact your county Child Welfare Services hotline. For Humboldt County the number is 707-445-6180. For Siskiyou County call 530-841-4200 (daytime) 530-842-7009 (nighttime). To locate the county hotline for another county in California go to: CPS Emergency Response Hotline Numbers
Cultural and California Indian Resources for Current Caregivers and Parents and Prospective Foster Parents of a Karuk Child:
(Northern California Indian Development Council. Locations across NorCal).
(Online Karuk Dictionary)
(Online Karuk Cultural Resources)
(Online Karuk Language and Cultural Resources)